Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Pre-trip.

My flight out of Arkansas leaves in less than 4 hours. I am sitting on my bed in my underwear, waiting for my hair to dry after taking a nice hot shower. My travel outfit is laid out on the kitchen table, my bags are packed on the bed next to me, my tablet is loaded with books and movies for the 36 hour journey to Moshi, Tanzania. Paul and I just had our "last supper" at Red Robin, where I downed a bacon cheeseburger and three root beer floats. Plane food makes me gag, so my next meal will hopefully be fish and chips in London, where I have almost a 10-hour layover.
I feel like I've been planning for this trip for so long, it's crazy that I actually leave today. I'm nervous and excited and want to take a nap. I have never been to Africa before and am not really sure what to expect. I talked to a lady who went in May and she said to "think of it like camping," and suggested that I bring duct tape and lots of breakfast bars, so half my bag is snacks. She also said the faculty were very welcoming and the students seemed to like her, so I'm hoping it goes well. I'm kind of more nervous about actually being at the front of a classroom than I am to go to a new continent without knowing anyone.
But doing things that both terrify and excite you is good, right? I think I need to get out of my comfort zone more often. I'm also interested in global health and nursing as a global profession and am excited to learn more about nursing and health outside of the States. The next month will definitely be a unique learning experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment