Tuesday, October 21, 2014

first day of school.

Healthcare in Tanzania is crazy. I went on a tour of Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Center yesterday and was shocked by the wards I saw. What would be considered a med-surg floor had hallways lined with cots filled with patients, and 10 beds per room. Peeling plaster, bare concrete floors, overcrowding; forget about things like IV pumps, one of the ob-gyn residents told me they had to cancel all surgeries the other day because there was no blood in the blood bank. I might go donate, since nobody in the US will want my blood when I get back. But this is one of the largest, best, and well-funded hospitals in Tanzania. A resident said they don’t have access to imaging studies like CT scans or MRIs, so surgery is often performed without a firm diagnosis, based on physical assessment information. So like, “we think you might have a brain hemorrhage so we’re going to do a craniotomy and see if that’s therapeutic.”

Another crazy thing that same ob-gyn resident was saying was that the labor and delivery culture here is so different. Like women labor in silence. Silence. If she makes any sounds during labor, even if it’s just a little whimpering, she will get slapped and told to be quiet, or a member of the healthcare team might say she is being “uncooperative.” When she is getting close to deliver she’ll start rocking and then whoosh! Out comes a baby! I told the resident if anyone slapped me and told me to be quiet while I was laboring I would slap them right back; cultural differences, eh.

Another rumor I’ve heard is the lack of bedside manner among doctors and nurses. I haven’t seen this myself as I haven’t spent enough time on the floor yet, but therapeutic communication is apparently not a thing here. Patients aren’t kept informed about their care, patients don’t make any decisions, it’s apparently pretty rough. I am curious to spend some time on a unit and observe how things run and what the nurses are like.

I spent my first day at the school today, and that was interesting. The teachers all lectured for two hours straight. No break, very little student interaction, just the teacher talking for two hours; one teacher asked the students if there were any questions one time, at the very end of his lecture. It was kind of mind numbing. I am also now even more nervous to be the one to teach. I will definitely NOT be standing up there and talking for two hours, but if this is what students are used to, how will they react when I ask them to participate? Will they even do it? What kind of activities can I use to engage them and make class more relevant and interesting?



So today I just sat in on the classes. The first teacher gave half his lecture in Swahili, even though English is technically the language of education in Tanzania. During the second class, a student asked the teacher a question in Swahili and the teacher said “the language is English” and made him repeat it in English. I guess it just depends on the teacher. I am a little worried that the students will be able to understand me when I teach. Our accents are so different, I often find myself trying to politely ask people to repeat themselves, and they sometimes ask me to as well. But anyway, this week is likely going to be observation only, and next week I am going to the hospital with some of the nursing students. I talked to the pharmacology teacher after class today and she said I can teach for her within the next couple weeks, she will give me a topic on Friday. So that is exciting/nervous. One day down! 

My office!

No comments:

Post a Comment